Sunday, December 6, 2009

Review: New Moon - How the Twilight Saga Sucked Me In

 The Twilight Saga: New Moon
I have kept myself far away from the Twilight mania that seems to be affecting women ages twelve to forty.  I overhead a co-worker talking about Twilight, and I did read it to see what it was all about.  After I finished the book, I found myself hating each and every one of the main characters.  Bella was superficial, Edward was a stalker, and all of Bella's friends were one dimensional.  I watched the movie out of curiosity to see what it was all about.  I found myself enjoying the movie very much.  Without Bella's constant narration, her and Edward seemed entirely different.  To add to the appeal, the baseball scene featured a song by my favorite artist.  "Super-massive Blackhole" by Muse.  Sure, it may be superficial of me to enjoy a movie because of one song added to the soundtrack, but that wasn't the sole reason I enjoyed the film. When the second film came out, I had decided I wanted to see it.  Before doing so, I had to read the book...

Review

I went into New Moon disliking many of the main characters, something that could have been a deal breaker for any other book.  I really did not want to like this book.  This did not matter in the end; however, because I loved it! The tension of New Moon sucked me in. I found myself able to ignore the skepticism I had of Bella and Edward (it is fiction, after all). The way Meyer handled the first few months after Edward left took my breath away. For a moment, I could feel that hole that Bella described endlessly. Then I found myself truly liking Jacob, and then disliking Edward less than I did before reading this book. It was entrancing. Though, I must admit that after reading this, I will have to join Team Jacob. 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment