Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Finding a Social Life in the Suburbs

About a year and a half ago I found myself graduated from college, and facing a move to a big city thanks to my choice in career.  I chose to live in the suburbs as I am from a small town, and wanted something that would not overwhelm me too much.  I am currently very happy with that decision as I have the choice between a fun night in the city or a quiet evening in the quaint downtown of the suburbs.  The biggest problem I faced was meeting people.  I thought a book club would be fun, and had always been interested in trying one out.  I found a website for new comers to the town.  Unfortunately, everything was scheduled during the day.  It seemed to be targeting stay at home moms.  So, I continued to commute into the city and befriend my co-workers.  They all lived in the city, so if I ever wanted to spend a night out, it had to be in the city.  My now fiance moved in shortly after I did, so at least I wasn't completely on my own.

We eventually found out that a couple we knew from Michigan (where we are originally from) had moved to a neighboring suburb.  We spent many weekends having a wonderful time, and meeting mutual friends.  All of these friends happened to be significantly older than the two of us, though we managed to relate to them wonderfully.

A month ago, one of my co-workers posted something on facebook about wanting to start a book club.  I casually commented that I had been wanting to join a book club for a while, but figured that not much would come of it.  People often post statuses on facebook on the whim.  To my delight, I received a message about starting up.  A few of her former high school classmates were interested as well.  We had our first meeting in ealy November.

Now, to my readers. If you are interested, feel free to follow along and participate in a virtual book club. The review of the first book we read can be found here. Feel free to share your thoughts you have read it.  Currently, we are reading Devil in the White City.  We will be finishing up by the 20th of December, though I may not post our thoughts and my personal review of it until the following Monday.  Please follow along and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment