Saturday, December 26, 2009

Review: Cube

Cube

This movie will be very difficult to review.  Mainly because I am not 100% sure how I felt about the movie.  Usually when I sleep on it, a review will come to me.  I watched it, I enjoyed watching it, but at the same time I found myself wondering what the heck is up with it.  In all fairness, I suppose I will have to write a neutral review, due to the number of times I found myself rolling my eyes (mentally perhaps) at this movie.  Read on for more.

Review

The premise of the movie is several strangers being stranded in this strange room together.  They discover that all the rooms are connected, and some of these rooms are trapped with a wide variety of deadly devices.  They discover that each of them has a purpose, a reason for being put into this cube-like prison, and use their talents to attempt to  find a way out.  They soon discover that the cube itself isn't the biggest danger they'll face.  The acting is never consistent.  Sometimes it is horrible and other times it isn't half bad.  Part of my wonders if the actors practiced their skills whilst filming the movie, and thus wound up being better.  The attempt at portraying how fragile the human psyche should be commended.  This movie was probably made with a very low budget (one set lit in different colors to make it seem like different rooms), and it seems very highly received in the SciFy community.  If you are into SciFy, by all means check out.  I am sure many people would find it enjoyable.  I'll admit that while I was not very into the beginning of the movie, I found the end to be very intense.  I was routing for the characters by then (even Levin, who I disliked for being so darn bratty in the beginning).  I wish the acting would have been a little bit better, as then I could have given this movie a high rating, earning it a hit status.  3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment