Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Review: Paranormal Activity

Paranormal Activity

I'll admit, I am very easiliy scared, and watched a good portion of Paranormal Activity from behind my closed fingers.  This movie scared the crap out of me.  The film starts off relativly slow, but I didn't mind that one bit.  I was on the edge of my seat for a good portion near the end, as each night the paranormal activity escalated.  Read on for the full review.
The plot of the film follows college student Katie (Katie Featherson) and her day trader boyfriend Micah (Micah Sloat) as they document the paranormal entity that has been following Katie for a good portion of her life. I found the characters in this film to be very convincing and real, enough so that I really cared about what happened to them as the film progressed.  The scares in this film are cheap, but they worked.  The mystery of the film was what amped the scare level up as much as it did.  It was refershing to see this movie be so scary without depending on blood and gore as many modern horror movie do. There were no credits at the end of the film, which added to the feel of it being a home video.  Upon the end of the film, I was racing for the remote to turn on regular TV and quickly forget the scares this movie offered.  I thought I was fine until I attempted to fall asleep that night.  I heard every sound in my apartment amplified all night.  Don't let that deter you, though.  I scare easily, and have an overactive imagination.  I will add that I watched this movie in a dark apartment with just me and my fiance.  I can imagine the setting you watch it in would have a big impact on the terror level.  Overall, this film did it's job, and for what it was trying to achieve, it did so perfectly.  5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment