Friday, January 8, 2010

Checking Off IMDB's Top 250 Films...Part I

One of my goals for the 101 in 1001 days is watching every film on IMDB's top 250 film list.  This list is evolving as people provide reviews and opinions form of new movies.  I will list some of the films that are on the current list that I have already seen and provide a brief summary of what I thought of the film.  They are listed below.



The Shawshank Redemption (Single Disc Edition)
1. The Shawshank Redemption: A very enjoyable film.  I thought the message in it was very good, and this is probably one of the best movies based on a Stephen King novel I've ever seen.  5 out of 5 stars


Pulp Fiction (Two-Disc Collector's Edition)
5. Pulp Fiction: Not my favorite Quentin Tarantino flick, but reached more popularity that some of his other older films, so I can see how it obtained such a high position on the Top 250. 4 out of 5 stars.

Schindler's List (Widescreen Edition)
6. Schindler's List: I hadn't seen this movie since I was in High School, but I still remember how significant it was to me then.  This was a very moving film, and well worthy of it's position in the Top 250. 5 out of 5 stars.


The Dark Knight (Widescreen Single-Disc Edition) 
9. The Dark Knight: Since this film is so recent, it is much easier for me to explain my thoughts on it. The first movie bored me, but this once kept me intrigued the entire time. I think all of the cast did a great job in this one. The replay value of this movie is very high, and it is usually a crowd pleaser when trying to watch movies as a group.  5 out of 5 stars.

The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King (Widescreen Edition) 
11. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King: I enjoyed all of the Lord of the Rings films. This one was action packed, and a great conclusion to the trilogy. Definitely worth watching again.  4 out of 5 stars.
Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope (1977 & 2004 Versions, 2-Disc Widescreen Edition) 
12. Star Wars Episode IV: I've seen Star Wars in pieces so many times that I've probably seen the entire film. The other ones (originals) I know I have caught glimpses of, but don't remember well enough to provide an effective rating. The first Star Wars was a great film, and something I could watch again and again and still enjoy it.  5 out of 5 stars.

Fight Club 
17. Fight Club: Fight Club is a great movie. I've seen it a couple times. It has the humor and depth that makes it such a memorable film. Great cast as well.  5 out of 5 stars. 

The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (Widescreen Edition) 
20. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: I have to be honest and say that this movie is my favorite of the trilogy. I'll be honest, maybe I like it so much because it is simple. I can easily remember what occurred in this film first the other two (which in my mind sort of mesh together).  5 out of 5 stars.

Psycho (Collector's Edition) 
22. Psycho: Psycho is a great film. I can understand how it terrified so many people when it first came out (even if it is tame compared to today's standards). Hitchcock truly is the master of suspense, and all of his films are wonderful. The plot to this film takes many different twists and turns. The biggest twist may not be a secret any longer, but the plot is still a roller coaster ride.  5 out of 5 stars.

The Silence of the Lambs (Full Screen Edition) 
24. The Silence of the Lambs: This is another film I could watch repeatedly. It has had such an impact of popular culture, and was a revelation at the time it was released. While it may be disturbing, this film is really worth watching.  5 out of 5 stars. 

Readers: What are your thoughts on any of these films? 

No comments:

Post a Comment