Monday, January 25, 2010

Review: Avatar

Avatar

Avatar is a film that lives up to the hype, without a doubt.  Usually when a movie is amped up so much, and one goes to see it with such high expectations, it is easy to leave dissapointed.  I loved this movie from start to finish.  I went to see it in a regular movie theater setting, so I wasn't as taken with the special effects as those who might see it in IMAX (this is definitely on my to-do list, though).  I was suprised at how much I enjoyed the plot, as I had heard much about how it was the effects that made this film truly great, and the plot was average.  Read on.

The plot of this film follows Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) as he takes over his recently deceased brother's position in a corporate operation to mine "Unobtainium" from a planet know as Pandora.  Pandora is inhabited by a feline-like people known as "Na'Vi" and the militants hired by this corporation seek to either civilize the Na'Vi or eliminate them.  Jake is enlisted in the Avatar program, where he learns to telepathically pilot a hybrid between a human and Na'Vi to gain their trust.  He meets Neytiri who then shows him their way.  I found the character development to be highly effective.  I was truly caring about the characters as the film progressed, and felt attached to the story.  The effect were marvolous, and I found many of the scenes truly breath taking.  I can't wait to see this movie again in 3D to have the whole experiance, and that is very rare.  I have not seen a movie in the theater more than once since Titanic (which is another James Cameron film).  It seems Avatar is setting out to achieve much more than Titanic had as well, and I hope it suceeds.  I don't doubt that I will want to own this film upon its release, as well.  It is that good.  5 out of 5 stars.   

No comments:

Post a Comment