Thursday, January 7, 2010

Seven Pounds
My fiance and I watched Seven Pounds recently, and I found it to be a very wonderful film.  I know it has had mixed reviews, and I have had friends tell me that it is "so predictable."  In the below review, I will explain why that while it was predictable it didn't matter to this film.  Please note that this review may contain spoilers as I attempt to explain why I feel this movie was not predictable, but the fact that what I will reveal is made apparent in the very first scene, I feel this will not impact the viewing experience for any readers.  I will try to explain everything as ambiguously as possible, but even still it may not be possible to prevent spoilers.  All I can say now is that I strongly recommend watching this movie. Read on at your own discretion.
The very first scene in the film made "Ben" Thomas' (Will Smith) intentions very clear.  What we don't understand is the motive.  The film goes on to depict Ben interacting with a variety of individuals in regard to their troubles with the IRS.  There is no big twist at the end, and why should their be?  Knowing how the film will end is what makes the events that occur throughout the film that much more painful.  The view knows what is going on in Ben's head, and the pain he is experiencing.  Even when one may have completely checked out of life, love happens.  Unfortunately, the love story in this movie isn't as simple.  The film portrays a love story in the most beautiful and gut wrenching way.  In fact, upon finishing the film I had to just sit and let the message soak in while the credits rolled.  This is a film that will remain with me for a long time.  I would strongly recommend that you give this movie a chance.  5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment